Friday, October 10, 2008

Our Newest Reader!

Ashley is in first grade and has reached that point in everyone's life where the whole world has opened up and you can read! It never gets old to hear your child read every street sign, store front, label etc. with a voice of amazement because they realize that these things called words have always been there, but they now can be read. The two older boys both enjoy reading, especially Quincy, but I see Ashley surpassing even he in the future. I rarely find her now without a book. This is how Kelly and I found her one night when we went to check on her before we went to bed. The other night I found a large stack of books that she was hiding underneath her blankets so she could read them after I put her to bed. Being an avid reader since I was her age I do have to say that I am already planning for the future and being able to introduce to her all the books I love...The boxcar children, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, The Hardy Boys and the list goes on! I guess I shouldn't be surprised at her love of reading though. She is related to her Grandpa Perkes. He is always reading something, even if it's just the back of a cereal box! He even goes to our public library when he comes to visit. And I can't leave my mom out of this. She has discovered her own love of books recently and after having only read two full length novels throughout her life she read 4 in the course of 3 weeks last month. (We have Stephanie Meyers to thank for that!) Yay mom! So to all you readers out there, join me in welcoming Ashley Ann Laing to our world! 

2 comments:

lindseylikes said...

Yay Ashley!! You have to tell her how proud of her I am!! That picture of her is so cute. We have many pictures of dad in that same position! How exciting for you too Heather! I love you.

Jeremy and Annisha and family said...

Wow, Ashley. Way to go! I'm so glad you're back to blogging, Heather. We miss you guys.