Thursday, October 9, 2008

Banana Spider

Every morning Mason and I go for a run along the Alabama River. Kelly calls it our nature run since Mason loves to recount all the animals, plants, trees, birds, bugs, and "yes" even spiders. Really LARGE spiders. They are called banana spiders and are about the size of the palm of your hand. There are huge webs between every branch and tree and a spider right in the middle of each one. (Did I mention that they aren't poisonous? As if that really matters!!) These are Mason's favorites and he loves to point them all out for me.

Soooo.....We were running one morning and the air was kind of smelly. (This is the south, paper mills abound!) I said to Mason, "It's kind of smelly today isn't it? I think it's the river or the paper mill." In which he replies to me, "No, mom! It's the banana spider poop!" 

Oh, does that boy make me smile!!!

7 comments:

Hunt Family said...

Hi guys! What a funny story...but Heather I totally commend you for running in that area with all the spiders. I wouldn't do it. Here in Canyon, TX we have to worry about tarantulas, apparently tis the season for them. Knock on wood but I haven't seen them yet, I just hope my luck holds out.

Katie Evans said...

Yay! Glad you've reunited with us bloggers. It's a fun world.
Love ya!

Darth Mama said...

I love the look of your blog. Your sister is quite talented with the header. I wish I had a sister like that. It is nice to be able to keep up with you.

Darth Mama said...

In case you didn't know, darthmama is me, shawna

Unknown said...

You all leave us with a great big smile and a tickle in our hearts. I think it would be funny to see how Mason deals with the land mines here and just to let you know I have decided if there has to be a choice between open sewer smell and paper mills I would choose paper mills. That is saying a lot since I get morning sickness everytime I smell one, and it has been a long time since those days. Love your blog Keep it up.

Casias Clan said...

I'm glad to see you on here - your blog is way cute! Keep us posted on Quincy!

Nancy said...

Heather I have a picture of one of these from Georgia. I thought they were beautiful.