Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Junie-isms

I have recently discovered the Junie B Jones series, thanks to Ashley, and all I can think is why haven't I read these before! They are HILARIOUS!! I find myself having to pause and get control of my laughter as I read and frequently shake my head while saying, "Oh Junie!". Since reading them to Ashley at night "Junie-isms" have become a part of my vocabulary.

*Just then, I got up from my chair. And I skipped to my boyfriend named Ricardo. I tickled him under the chin with my softy hands of fur. "This is what fur hands look like when they're tickling you under your chin," I said. Then I grinned and grinned. 'Cause that boy brings out the best in me. That's why.

*When I first opened them, I got filled with glee. Glee is when you run. And jump. And skip. And laugh. And clap. And dance on top of the dining room table. Then your mother takes you down from the table. And she carries you to your room for a time-out. Time-outs kill the glee.

*I am a bachelorette. A bachelorette is when your boyfriend named Ricardo dumps you at recess. Only I wasn't actually expecting that terrible trouble. It happened today on the playground. First I was playing horses with my friends Lucille and Grace. Then, all of a sudden, my boyfriend named Ricardo runned right past me. And he was chasing a new girl named Thelma! "RICARDO!" I hollered real loud. "HEY! RICARDO! 'ZACTLY WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING, MISTER?" Then I zoomed right after that guy. And I tackled him on the grass. And we wrestled. And tangled. And rolled all around. Finally, I sat on his legs. And I smoothed my hair very attractive. "Hello, Ricardo," I said. "How are you today? I am fine. Only I just saw you chasing new Thelma. And so please knock it off. And I mean it." Ricardo raised his eyebrows very surprised. "Why? How come?" he said. I sucked in my cheeks at that guy. "Because, Ricardo. Because I am your girlfriend. And you are my boyfriend. And boyfriends and girlfriends are only allowed to chase each other. That's how come." Ricardo kept on looking at me. I shrugged my shoulders. "Sorry. Those are just the rules," I explained. Ricardo's face turned very glum. "But I like chasing new Thelma," He said kind of whiny. "It's fun." I patted his arm very understanding. "Yes, well, I don't make the rules, Rick. I just enforce them," I said. After that, I got off his legs. And I sat in the grass next to him. Ricardo didn't talk for a long time. Then finally, he stood up. And he shook my hand real nice. "Junie B., it's been fun being your boyfriend," he said. "But I think it's time we started chasing other people."

Those are just a few of my fave's. There are many more at a library near you! Highlighted parts are where I laugh hysterically. And if there are any other "glee-killers" out there reading this I wish you the very best day with that boy who brings out the best in you! And remember to let him know that you don't make the rules you just enforce them!!!!

3 comments:

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

Courtney and I use to read Junie B when she was in Kindergarten. She came home in tears after her fist day and we read the one about the stinky yellow bus. We laughed so hard. I have good memories of Junie B. I should start reading them to Sarah.

Emily said...

We love these too! I find myself thinking "thank goodness I don't have a child like this!"

Carrie Maseda said...

These books are fantastic!!!! I have been buying them since I was in college; I used to read them to the children in my classes when I was teaching, and now I read them to my kids! Of course, they do get some interesting ideas from them occasionally, like calling 911 on a Sunday afternoon, but they are very entertaining! :) I need to get more of the ones when she is in first grade; we have all of the kindergarten ones, but only a few of the first grade ones.