Friday, October 2, 2009

Ode to Nebraska

Once again it has been a very sad amount of time since I have posted anything, but here I am (Yay!) A lot has happended since my last post...like a summer and we are in a different state. You are probably thinking that is nothing new with us but I'd thought I would do a brief overview of the happy points of our new state of residence...Nebraska!

Here we have our home, which I love to live in for many different reasons but one being that we live on Kelly Dr. Yes, Kelly was so important they named a whole street after him. I mean really, we all knew it would happen sooner or later and now we can move on to having a large monument named after him, then here comes the holiday, although we don't expect it to be a federal holiday at first, maybe after a few years...
Downtown Omaha is a great place full of things to do and big building, it just has one of those good city feelings. We went to a great place called Old Market that has little shops and lots of charm. It made me think a little of down town Charleston.
And we cannot forget one of our most favorite place that we had never found in all our travels until we got here to Nebraska...Famous Dave's!!! Can I just say Mmmmmmm! So good! Lest you might judge us I will refrain from mentioning here how many times we have been in our 2+ months here. (Hee, Hee) Briskit, BBQ-ed pork, ribs, best fries ever, corn muffins, and last but definetely not least--Bread pudding. Sigh...
The kids started school and love it. Britton and Ashley are at Two Springs elementary and ride the bus together every morning. Britton is the best big brother and takes good care of his little sister.
Quincy is a 7th grader!!! Gasp!!! He goes to Lewis and Clark Middle School. He rides his bike to school and up one BIG hill. I rode it with him one morning and phew..owie legs!!! Must brag...he was put into Algebra and was chosen to take the ACT, SAT early. That's his Daddy's boy!!
Oh look...it's a beach!! Nope, it's a lake, much to Ashley's dismay since she does still question why there are no beaches in Nebraska. We did try to fool her with this one but it wasn't up to her specs.
We had a great visit with my family. Mom and Dad came with Lindsey and Rylee and Katie, Jonathon and kids were here for Jonathon's sister's wedding. All grandkids together...we had to get a picture.
This is the Winter Quarters Temple that we live only 20 minutes away from. So beautiful and so wonderful to have a live-in babysitter (Quincy) and time to go!
Air shows to watch right from our back porch! It was so awesome, we watched it all three day plus a practice day. The Blue Angels were performing this year. Go Navy!!! Here is a picture of them.
And a wonderful backyard right on the golf course to enjoy. So much family time and Kelly loves his job. I will never get to know what he does (if he tells me he'll have to kill me), but I am informed it's way cool!
This is only a little portion of the great time we are having. We feel so blessed to be here and have so much time together. As I type the wind is howling outside and I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt, pant and socks and my fingers are freezing. I think our Nebraska winter is beginning and I pray I will survive!! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Katie Evans said...

I loved being able to see you guys in your cool house. You really do have a great neighborhood and place to live. I'm sure we'll be seeing you lots while you're in the great state of Nebraska!

Jared-n-Cindi said...

Good to see that you are enjoying Nebraska! Heather you inspire me to blog again. Almost. ;) My kids would be so jealous of the air shows. Did I mention they love planes? Everytime we drive past our little airport it makes their week. Keep the posts coming. I will try to do the same.