Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Angry Crafter

I like to refer to myself as an "angry crafter". You have to understand that I come from a family of creative people. I grew up with parents that would make different Christmas decorations each year, my Dad did ceramics (even has his own kiln), my Mom is an awesome seamstress, my sister Katie can decorate like Martha Stewart, and my sister Lindsey can make the cutest cards and projects just like out of a magazine, And my brother Byron can tie flies! These are just one each of their talents, they all have many more to prove that the creative juices flow free through our family. Then there is me....I like to think that I am an admirer of talents (Is that a talent?).

I see all those awesome projects and ideas and think to myself, I want to do that...then I try and I am reminded again why I am the "angry crafter" and why I try to steer away from such things. (Sometimes it's more for my families benefit than mine!) Let my give you a couple of examples.

This is a project I did on our craft day at church...

I know looks pretty normal, but the pain and mental anguish to get it to this point was pretty much a draw at whether it was worth the end product. To name only a few of my "mishaps with the thing...I had to sand the whole thing and got sawdust all over my pants!, I got paint all over my hands (I know horrible right?!), I had to wait an inordinate amount of time for the paint to dry!, When I put the glue on IT got all over my hands, More sanding and stuff on my pants, more glue on my hands, I have to wait even longer (I think) for the glue to dry, AND now here is the kicker...........I go back to check if the glue has dried and there are bubbles all over underneath the paper!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I, of course cannot leave it like that (I am a bit of a perfectionist, could that be part of my problem?) So, I proceed to tear off all the paper, I must now sand all the excess glue off and you guessed it it got all over my pants! Then reglueing, more glue on the hands, this time I take extra precautions for now bubbles underneath the paper, more sanding again than waiting for the glue to dry!!! So there it is finished, no bubbles, and it now needs holes drilled in it for the ribbon. I made the safe choice and found someone to drill the holes, I didn't think I was in the right state of mind to operate power tools! At least its done right?

This project I did last month at church. It was a bit better since it only involved tying and a bit of hot glue, although I did burn my finger.


And last of all, this is the project I like the most...The one I bought!!!!


So all in all, I think it is better for all those who live with me and are affected by my mood if I stick to the kind of crafts that I buy OR are given to me! (Hint, hint, Mom, Dad, Katie, Lindsey, and Byron!) Love you guys!

3 comments:

Katie Evans said...

Somebody should warn each enrichment leader in your new wards that you are coming. I think they should always have ALTERNATE "crafts" for people like you that night. You know, something like paint with water or homemade friendship bracelets. Just a thought. :)

lindseylikes said...

You make me laugh!! I can just see you going through each of the steps and exactly how you are reacting!! You know that I will always be your personal crafter!! You do know that you have your own live in "crafty girl" (Ashley)!!!! That girl does great work. I can't wait to see what she creates in a couple of years with somemore crafting knowlege under her belt!! I love you & will talk to you soon! Linds

Jared-n-Cindi said...

You know, I had an epiphony(however you spell it) the other day as I looked at my closet crammmed with half-finished projects. I discovered the reason they are all that way is because I too am a perfectionist(must be an oldest child thing ;). If I never finish them, they never turn out wrong, right!? Great post Heather!